Upcycling Project: Magazine Rack

Do you ever find an upcycling project that you know you can turn into something fabulous but somehow you never get round to actually doing it?


Years ago, and I mean like maybe 2011 we went on a day trip to Calais in France and did the usual stock up on beer and wine. My partner purchased a small wooden crate of different beers and I thought this crate would make a wonderful storage item of some kind when made pretty. I have somehow held onto that crate for 5 years and over the long bank holiday weekend I finally decided to complete that project.



We have needed a place to store magazines in our lounge since I replaced our coffee table with a single table top rather than a table with a shelf. This crate seemed like the perfect size and I already had chalk paint in the right colours.

For this project I used Rustoleum Chalk Paint in grey and white, Rustoleum sealer, a letters stencil from Hema and a sanding block from Wilko.



The wooden crate was very rough so I first spent a good amount of time sanding it down to smooth out the rough edges and make sure it was safe against splinters. I used a sanding block from Wilko which cost less than a £1. It's worth spending the time on this because it gives a smoother finish and makes it easier for the paint to adhere to to the crate.

I painted the crate using the grey chalk paint to match our lounge decor. I always use two coats of chalk paint to make sure it is fully covered with a nice even coat. Chalk paint dries in no time so you can paint again within the hour, although I came back the next day as I was doing this project around my other weekend activities.



Once the paint was dry I measured out where I wanted to add the lettering and started painting from the centre. I initially started painting using a small sponge and patting the paint on but this didn't work too well with the stencil so I switched to using a paint brush.



I then went over the edging of the letters with a much smaller brush to make sure I got neat edges and to clear up any paint which leaked from the edge of the stencil.


Finally I coated the crate with the Rustoleum sealer to finish it off and give it a smooth finished appearance.

It makes a great little magazine rack and is the perfect size for our living room, sitting snuggly between the fire and the easy chair. I'm glad I finally got around to turning this little crate into a usable object in our home, making use of DIY paints we already owned.

I have added a quick video on this little DIY to my You Tube channel if you fancy popping by :-)

I always like to accomplish a little project on a long weekend. Have you got any bank holiday projects or accomplishments that you wish to share?
Speak soon x

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.